50 Memorable Moments in 50 Years!
The SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel wraps up a momentous year of celebrations for its anniversary of 50 years of excellent service and fond memories provided to our guests and the community! Read about how it all started here, and then we invite you enjoy a walk down memory lane with us as we share 50 moments that have impacted the SeaCrest and Pismo Beach over the past 50 years.
1. The German family started coming to the SeaCrest in 1962, when Mitch German was just a young child. Now he travels to Pismo Beach and the SeaCrest with his company, Muscle Guys Logistics, with discounted rates through the SeaCrest Corporate Travel Program.
2. The Pismo Beach Clam Festival, to be held on October 18-20, 2013, will celebrate 67 years and features a live parade, best local chowder contest, surf contest, food, beer & wine garden and pier pub, music and a Friday night wine walk.
3. A loyal and lucky couple has been coming to Pismo Beach since the 50’s and staying at the SeaCrest since it opened its doors in 1962. They visited with their children, then their grand children. Now they travel without the family, as they no longer have the energy to chase their great grand children across the expansive OceanFront Lawn.
4. Brenda and Vince were married in Morro Bay 47 years ago and had their honeymoon at the old “SeaCrest Resort Motel.” They still have the receipt for the room that cost only $12 a night. On February 16, 2013 they celebrated their vow renewals on the SeaCrest OceanFront Terrace with their closest friends and family.
5. The owners of Sam’s Tours out of Kansas got married at the SeaCrest over 40 years ago, and now are working with the hotel to bring Tour Groups west to experience their most memorable Central California Coast vacation.
6. The 37th Annual Jubilee by the Sea, on October 24-27, 2013, is the premier west coast jazz event and features many of the most sought-after traditional jazz bands from across the nation. It features 20 bands and several guest artists performing at five venues, all connected by a shuttle bus system.
7. Christopher H. has been coming to the SeaCrest since he was 3 years old. Now in his 40s he keeps coming back for the super friendly service and updated modern-retro décor.
8. The 35th Annual Marching Band Review gathers bands from around the area competing in several divisions in this annual event. Bands compete on Dolliver between Hinds and Main Streets in Pismo Beach, on November 2, 2013 from approximately 9am-12pm.
9. Dottie S. has been staying at the SeaCrest for over 33 years, to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries and everything in between. She never gets tired of the ocean front view from her balcony and loves the latest hotel renovations.
10. Eberle Winery celebrates 30 years of cabernet with an Evolution in Wine Tasting on April 5, 2013 in Paso Robles. This vertical tasting with appetizers will be hosted by Gary Eberle, who can pinpoint the reasons the vintages taste so different and how the growing seasons contributed to the wine in the glass.
11. Kathleen and Howard had their honeymoon at the SeaCrest over 30 years ago, when the honeymoon suite was equipped with a red heart shaped bed, red carpet and light fixtures, and shiny silver wallpaper. Unfortunately, that stylish room no longer exists.
12. The Classic Car Show takes place in Pismo Beach and will celebrate 28 years on June 14-16, 2013. Each year Just Cruzinʼ Productions continues the tradition of one of the largest car shows in California, and the SeaCrest will throw its 2nd annual SeaCrest Car Show on Thursday, June 13 in its expansive parking lot.
13. Jamie Wallace, the hotel General Manager, was told an intriguing story by a young guest who was adamant about staying in a specific room at the hotel, all because he was certain he had been conceived in that room, about 30 years ago.
14. The California Festival of Beers is one of the largest and oldest regional beer festivals in California, celebrating 27 years in 2013. On May 24-25, 2013 at Madonna Meadows, attendees will sample, learn, and enjoy beers from over six dozen breweries around the world, all benefitting the nonprofit organization HospiceSLO.
15. In 1987 the SeaCrest underwent major construction, and the North and South Wings were added to the center building to accommodate more guests and increase the hotel to 158 rooms. The more the merrier!
16. Darcy F. and her family have been coming to the SeaCrest for family vacations over 25 years. They always enjoy the direct beach access, outdoor heated pool and 3 ocean view hot tubs.
17. The 23rd Annual SLO Cattlemen’s Association Western Art Show and Sale will take place on April 5-7, 2013 displaying over 500 pieces of original art never before seen in San Luis Obispo County. This year the featured artist is Shannon Lawlor, with 60 other artists in attendance for the three days.
18. Kim A. has been coming to the SeaCrest since she was a little girl and now brings her own children to the hotel for vacations. Not to mention she is also happy to gloat about it on Facebook and make all of her friends jealous every time she books a room.
19. The 23nd Annual Harvest Celebration Weekend is a weekend full of wine and fun, including winemaker dinners featuring great local cuisine paired with the best SLO Vintners wines. On a Saturday in November, over 50 wineries and restaurants will be participating in the biggest party of all at the beautiful Avila Beach Golf Resort.
20. Kari L- G. and her husband celebrated their honeymoon here 21 years ago and come back every 7 years to stay in the same room. Now that’s a tradition!
21. The SLO International Film Festival happens every March in San Luis Obispo, and will celebrate 20 years in 2014. The Annual San Luis Obispo International Film Festival offers wide variety of movies, parties, workshops and wine tastings – and the chance to rub elbows with Hollywood and extreme sports celebrities. This is an ideal weekend of exceptional wine and movies.
22. Rob & Sheree have been bringing their kids to the SeaCrest since they were in diapers and now they are in college. With that College bill, good thing the SeaCrest offers super “Wacky Wednesday” deals on Facebook.
23. “Nature’s Gems,” the 18th Annual Central Coast Orchid Show & Sale, will feature exhibits from the show vendors and local orchid societies at the South County Regional Center in Arroyo Grande. On April 6-7, 2013, vendors will offer a large variety of orchid plants for sale.
24. Kathleen and her family stayed at the SeaCrest back in the 1990’s and returned because of its great location. Back then she would have reviewed it as clean and comfortable. Now it is a “WOW! Redone rooms are beautiful and the grounds are stunning. But the staff’s attention to details is what really sets it apart.” She had mentioned it was her wedding anniversary while making the reservation. On their arrival they found a lovely, handwritten note in their room.
25. Deanna S. has been coming to the SeaCrest for over 15 years and it’s the little things that keep bringing her back, like fresh baked cookies every afternoon, the free continental breakfast and hot coffee available 24/7.
26. Mike and Vanessa had their honeymoon at the SeaCrest 12 years ago in a Jacuzzi Deluxe Room. The funny thing is they ended up staying right next door to Vanessa’s boss for their entire honeymoon!
27. The 10th Annual Art in the Park series starts the first Sunday in May and runs through November 3, 2013, located at Dinosaur Caves Park and offers music, art demos, food and children’s activities, all with free admission.
28. Pismo Beach Kite XPO if the largest kite-boarding event in the country, which debuted in Pismo Beach over 10 years ago. The event will be held on April 11-14, 2013, and features a Winemaker’s Dinner, demos, and a Hawaiian style BBQ courtesy of Maui Mike and the Lujan family.
29. Alexander G. has been arriving twice a summer since 2003 and loves the hotel due to its 1st floor patios that open up to the OceanFront Lawn and the BBQs available for guest use on the many outdoor Terraces.
30. Art After Dark is celebrated monthly with dozens of galleries and non-traditional exhibit spaces, offering free exhibitions after dark. On a typical Art After Dark, over 20 galleries and non-traditional art venues (think restaurants, boutiques, and salons) spotlight the best of established and emerging local artists. Expect sore feet and creative juices to be flowing from 6pm to 9pm on the first Friday of each month.
31. The Cal Poly Wine Festival is proud to host over 70 local wineries and food vendors throughout California in order to celebrate this year’s 10-year milestone. Included in the festival weekend is an educational seminar, complete with a 10-year tasting flight, and a kick-off BBQ, located at Santa Margarita Ranch on March 29-30, 2013.
32. The 5th Annual Wine 4 Paws event raises funds for Woods Humane Society on April 13-14, 2013. Pet loving wine drinkers can help our four-legged friends by visiting any of the 60 participating wineries throughout the weekend, when a portion of the proceeds will be donated to Woods Humane Society.
33. In 2008, the SeaCrest changed ownership and Central Coast of California Hospitality took over management of the hotel. Over $8,000,000 was spent in a full hotel renovation of all guestrooms and public spaces, and hi-tech amenities were added to all the rooms.
34. The 4th Annual Wine Waves & Beyond event will take place May 30-June 2, 2013. This classic surf and wine event celebrates the best of San Luis Obispo County and all proceeds go to support the Association of Amputee Surfers (AmpSurf). Combine the fun, laid back atmosphere of our wine country and unique surf culture and enjoy four days of exciting events that take place at numerous scenic venues throughout San Luis Obispo County.
35. Sunset SAVOR the Central Coast is a world-class food and wine event that caters to those in search of the hottest culinary and wine trends from across California and the entire West Coast. On September 26-29, 2013, celebrate the beauty and bounty of this coastal region in an incredible 4-day experience with Sunset Magazine, showcasing area winemakers, chefs, and artisanal food producers.
36. On March 23-24, 2013, the 3rd Annual Santa Margarita Wildflower Festival celebrates our local San Luis Obispo County Wildflower blooms. It offers nature talks, photography tips, wildflowers on display, arts & crafts, and great food. Submit your California Wildflower Photos in its photo competition, voted on for the best by everyone that attends the festival.
37. The annual TASTE of Pismo event enjoys three days of great local Central Coast food, wine, and ocean views located at Dinosaur Caves Park, less than 1 mile from the hotel. This year’s event will be held April 26-28, 2013.
38. Bruce has stayed at the SeaCrest many times, and always has the same experience: “the management and staff is great, very accommodating. The hotel occupies a unique location, with beach access and has a restaurant on site.” Bruce also says “If you haven’t been a hotel guest for awhile, you owe it to yourself to experience the renovation and upgrading of all the guest rooms and amenities.”
39. The Adult Easter Egg Hunt at Robert Hall Winery takes place March 29-31, 2013 in Paso Robles. Drop by Robert Hall Winery anytime between 10am-5pm during this weekend and find one of the eggs hidden inside the tasting room or on the Terrace. Each egg contains a special discount that can be applied to your wine purchase. Why should kids have all the fun?
40. On February 2, 2014, the California Western Monarch Day is a joyful celebration at the Pismo State Beach Monarch Butterfly Grove. There will be butterfly talks and educational booths for adults, as well as art activities for children. The main attraction, however, is the thousands of Monarchs hanging in huge clusters from the eucalyptus and pine trees in the grove.
41. Sue Schmid attended the 1st annual SeaCrest 4th of July VIP Party on the RoofTop Terrace and said “best 4th of July EVER at the SeaCrest RoofTop fireworks party!”
42. The City of Pismo Beach Parks & Recreation Department presents the annual Easter Eggstravaganza on March 30, 2013 from 10am-1pm. Festivities will be held at Dinosaur Caves Park and the celebration includes games, bounce houses, face painting, a balloon artist and much more, all for free.
43. Lisa N. mentions her great stay at the SeaCrest on TripAdvisor, due to the “awesome beach, warm hot tubs and beautiful grounds.”
44. Established in 2010, The San Luis Obispo Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K offers an authentic California coastal, wine country, small town atmosphere and one of the most beautiful courses in the nation. The Boston Qualifier course runs through the turn-of-the-20th century downtown SLO, vineyards and farmland, with a finish at the iconic Madonna Inn. After your race, experience “The SLO Life” at the Expo with gourmet foods, fine wine and more, all taking place April 5-7, 2013.
45. Brianne and her to-be husband searched up and down the coast for the perfect wedding venue and the SeaCrest was it! They had their reception on the SeaCrest OceanFront Terrace after their ceremony on the beach below. Most of their guests stayed at SeaCrest as well and really loved it. Brianne says “The views from the reception were breathtaking and made such a romantic, unforgettable setting. It’s a truly unique and special place.”
46. Pumpkins on the Pier is a free, family event that takes place annually on the Pismo Beach Pier, and will be held on October 26, 2013, 10am-1pm. Highlights include a costume contest, pumpkin decorating, a climbing wall, bounce house, balloon typhoon, face painting, carnival games and more.
47. Chris V. loved the SeaCrest because it is a great, dog welcoming place. He said “they even had a special brochure with dog friendly benches and restraints. Very friendly staff too!”
48. The annual Holiday Harmony & Light Up Pismo Beach event will take place on December 6, 2013 at the Beach Bum Holiday Rental parking lot in downtown Pismo Beach. Kids will have fun with fresh snow, a bounce house, crafts and cookie decorating. Join Santa and carolers before he makes his way to the tree lighting ceremony on a fire truck.
49. The SeaCrest kicked-off the year long 50th Anniversary Celebration on March 13, 2012 with a memorable event on the OceanFront Terrace, attended by city and state officials, and more importantly the Pursell Family, who has been staying with the SeaCrest for over 50 years.
50. In September of 2012, the California Lodging Industry Association (CLIA) awarded the SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel with the Award for Excellence in Lodging and Hospitality, for all their achievements in sales, marketing and service over the past 50 years!