Year Round Farmers’ Markets Made Possible in Pismo Beach
Who does not love fresh fruit, vegetables, fish and flowers? Here in Pismo Beach and the surrounding communities we are quite spoiled with our abundance of farmers’ markets, most of which are held year round thanks to the amazing weather and abundance of fresh seasonal produce always available.
According to the San Luis Obispo County Farmers’ Market Association, here are the top ten reasons why shopping at a Farmers’ Market is better than buying anywhere else:
- A Healthy Lifestyle is created and sustained through “just-picked, vine-ripened and best-tasting produce.”
- A Friendly Community of fishermen, farmers, bakers and families comes together on a weekly basis.
- You can taste the Freshness brought to you through produce picked the same day it goes to market.
- The Flavor is unbeatable because the produce is not picked until it is ripe. Produce ripened on the tree or vine adds significant flavor.
- Numerous Varieties of every product are available. From over 70 apple varieties to Tuscan and Russian kale and lemon and Tai basil, you can enrich your life with flavor the healthy way.
- The volume, variety, quality and freshness of the Flowers is superior to any in-store offer. Greenhouse roses are almost always available plus an abundance of seasonal varieties. Get ready for stunning tulips come February!
- Talk directly to the farmers. Meeting the Farmers is a huge advantage when wanting accurate answers to where products are grown, if the products were sprayed and cooking suggestions.
- Support family-operated small farms.
- Reduce the carbon footprint. The average distance traveled for farmers to the farmers’ markets is less than 50 miles and there is no refrigeration or storage necessary.
- You know you are buying California Grown products.
Farmers’ markets are offered several days a week in a variety of locations in the San Luis Obispo County with some of the most popular being in Pismo Beach, Arroyo Grande and San Luis Obispo. Check out some of these amazing farmers’ markets the next time you are in town.
“Where the Produce Meets the Sea”
The Pismo Beach Farmers’ Market is held at the Pier every Wednesday from 1:00pm until 5:00pm and features fresh produce, handmade items and delectable food choices.
Every Thursday evening, Downtown San Luis Obispo becomes home to one of the largest Farmers’ Markets in the state of California, stretching over two city blocks and attracting over 10,000 market-goers each week.
Approximately 70 farmers from the Central Coast and the San Joaquin Valley sell their fresh seasonal produce to locals and tourists alike while being accompanied by live music, tasty food and numerous children’s activities. This event is enjoyed by the whole family.
World Market/Embassy Suites Parking Lot
On Saturday morning, you will not want to miss the biggest little market in SLO. It has grown to over 60 vendors and you are guaranteed to find the freshest local produce brought to you buy California farmers.
The Village of Arroyo Grande
The Olohan Alley in the Village of Arroyo Grande hosts a Saturday afternoon farmers’ market filled with a country atmosphere. Artists and live music grace the street and of course you will find some of the most abundant and freshest produce around.
Arroyo Town and Country Square
Visit the Smart & Final parking lot in the Arroyo Town and Country Square Shopping Center every Wednesday morning to buy a variety of seasonal vegetables, fruits, fish and flowers from 35 growers.
Dinosaur Caves Park
The community of Shell Beach holds a Farmers Market at Dinosaur Caves Park. This event is the only farmers’ market not held year round. It will resume in April and will take place every Saturday morning from 9:00am until 1:00pm. Some of the highlights of this farmers’ market include fresh produce, flowers, jams, dried fruits and artisan vinegars. There will also be fun family entertainment such as hula hoop classes and kite flying.
Talley Farms Fresh Harvest
Sometimes making it to the farmers’ market is not convenient, even with all of the options available. You can still buy local fresh produce through the likes of Talley Farms Fresh Harvest, a CSA program which delivers to convenient pick up locations each week so local consumers can enjoy top-quality, local produce every week.
Visiting Pismo Beach? After all the farmers’ market fun, put up your feet at a Pismo Beach OceanFront Hotel conveniently located just 15 minutes from all of the listed farmers’ markets.