Raving About SLO Wine Country
In January, Bill St. John of the Chicago Tribune paid tribute to San Luis Obispo’s Wine Country with rave reviews. The wineries honored are located just minutes away from Pismo Beach in Edna Valley and Arroyo Grande Valley, known for their temperate weather of warm, sunny days and cool, crisp nights paired with sundry soil conditions for the most unique of grape growing conditions.
John paid special attention to the “on-trend winemakers” and emphasized that “if you’re going to fully experience California wine, it helps to travel away from the familiar in order to taste wines that…are ‘sequestered from the company’ of the already known. That would mean getting out of Napa or Sonoma and turning the corkscrew into a bottle or two of wine from places such as San Luis Obispo.”
California’s pristine Central Coast offers cool-climate grapes such as pinot noir and chardonnay along with syrah, zinfandel, Bordeaux varieties and some European grapes such as grüner veltliner, albariño, viognier and grenache blanc.
John goes on to give special acclaim to:
- 2012 Tangent Winery Albariño Paragon Vineyard Edna Valley as “a dead ringer for a Spanish Rias Baixas albariño.”
- 2011 Edna Valley Vineyard Chardonnay “Fleur de Edna”
- 2010 Center of Effort Chardonnay Edna Valley
- 2009 Kynsi Winery Syrah Edna Valley
- 2010 Laetitia Vineyard & Winery Arroyo Grande Valley Pinot Noir “La Colline” and 2010 Pinot Noir “Les Galets”
- 2010 Saucelito Canyon Red Blend “Sauvage” Arroyo Grande Valley as “another spot-on SLO version of a French song sung by California; a three-way Bordeaux blend that reprises all the Medoc could do with the same, but at far less the cost.”
- Talley Vineyards chardonnays as “fine examples of age-able whites.”
The next time you are visiting Pismo Beach, take a short drive to San Luis Obispo’s Wine Country to experience the nationally recognized wine regions of Edna Valley and Arroyo Grande Valley. Delight in a self-wine tour comprised of the wineries recognized above or take advantage of SeaCrest’s Edna Valley Wine Tour. The package includes a guided tour, accomodations in an OceanView or Deluxe guestroom, transportation, lunch, and tasting at 4 unique wineries in Edna Valley wine country.
After your fun-filled day of exploring San Luis Obispo’s pristine wine country, continue your wine exploration with well-known local Pismo Beach wine tasting rooms and wine bars, including Tastes of the Valleys, Sans Liege Winery and Pismo Beach Winery. When your wine tasting excursion is complete, bring a bottle back to SeaCrest, Pismo Beach’s most exquisite OceanFront Hotel, for an evening of rest and relaxation in the most comfortable of accommodations.