The Pismo Beach Community to Celebrate the “Harvest of Good Fortune”
As fall approaches, the kids are heading back to school, holidays are already on our minds and the sweet smell of the fall harvests is in the air.
The agricultural communities on the Central Coast of California are special. Rich, deep alluvial soil accompanies a maritime climate that promotes cool summers and warm winters, one of the greatest and most unique growing environments in the world. While the nature of this diverse and prolific agricultural potential provides many year-round harvests, fall has become the time of year in which we really enjoy celebrating the industry’s success and history.
One such great celebration is the annual Arroyo Grande Harvest Festival. This year’s theme is a Harvest of Good Fortune. It will be honoring the agricultural industry in the Arroyo Grande Valley and its thriving, lush and diverse crop seasons. Some favorite fall crops include: wine grapes, apples, avocados, cantaloupe, cucumbers, eggplant, figs, lavender, onions, oranges, peppers, pluots, potatoes, pumpkins and tomatoes.
Join in the fun at the 77th Arroyo Grande Valley Harvest Festival on Friday, September 26th and Saturday, September 27th. A short drive from Pismo Beach will put you in the Village of Arroyo Grande, where their agricultural heritage will be celebrated in the most delightful ways.
The list of contests, entertainment, and fun that will take place over the weekend keeps growing with anticipation:
- The Paws of Thunder Wiener Dog Races support the Foxy Doxy Dachshund Rescue
- The Harvest Festival Parade will be held Saturday at 10:00 am
- Teri Kelley’s Bake-Off Contest includes categories in ice cream making, country canning, pies, and breads
- The Homegrown Growing Contest is a traditional contest, including vegetables, flowers, and fruit
- The Quilt Auction will take place on Friday at 4:00 pm – an inspiring and fun event in support of the Central Coast Quilters, a non-profit organization that not only promotes the interests of the historical art of American quilt making, but is known for the charity quilts they create and give to the community each year
- Don’t miss the carriage rides from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm on Saturday
- The “Big Ditch Derby” will take place on Saturday at 12:00pm and includes a stock class for children ages 7 to 12
- The Whiskerino Contest is a “can’t miss” event where the best and most outrageous facial hair contestants compete in longest, bushiest, patchiest, stubble, handle bar, walrus moustache, natural moustache, free style, and more
- Operation Scarecrow is presented by the Arroyo Grande & Grover Beach Chamber of Commerce and is a way for local businesses to support the Harvest Festival during the whole month of September
This year’s festival will be held on Friday, September 26th from 4:00pm to 9:00pm and Saturday, September 27th from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. Don’t miss all the entertainment and fun!
Make it a Central Coast weekend with SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel. After celebrating our agricultural heritage, enjoy our ocean, beach and coastal views in Pismo Beach. SeaCrest accommodations are luxurious and inviting – the perfect place to kick back and soak up everything Pismo.