Imagine the warm sun on your face and a fresh ocean breeze at your back as you explore scenic trails right in our very own backyard paradise – Pismo Beach and the surrounding area. Whether adventuring by foot, horseback or mountain bike, there are miles of great trails for everyone.
In fact more than 15 trails of varying difficulty (from easy to strenuous) are calling you to venture out just minutes from Pismo Beach’s central point, the Pismo Beach Pier. Set your itinerary and get ready for scenery to leave you wanting more.
Watch the time fly by as the miles pass under your feet along these top trails, ranked best Pismo Beach hiking trails by the park visitors themselves:
- Dinosaur Caves Park boasts a vista view cliff walk and is a great place to stretch your legs after a long drive, enjoy the sunset or walk your dog. If you’re feeling extra adventurous you can descend the stairs and explore the actual caves at the sea’s edge below.
- At Pismo State Beach you may spy a pod of playful dolphins as you stroll along the length of soft sand and gentle lapping tides. This lovely respite is known as one of the best walking beaches along the Central Coast.
- For a quick and easy walk or run, try the Bob Jones Trail. This 3-mile city to the sea paved pathway inspires walkers and joggers alike to consistently rave about this shaded natural sanctuary.
Whether at morning, midday or sunset, there is something uniquely magical about trotting on horseback out in nature. Pismo Beach offers both beach riding and trail riding in locations well known for their stunning beauty. Make time to explore one of these wonderful trails by horseback and enjoy making Pismo Beach memories to last a lifetime.
- Ride along the spectacular 5 ½ miles of sand dune trails and sandy beach at Oceano Dunes. This park, shared by joggers, dog walkers and off road vehicles is a favorite recreation escape and one of the most popular parks in the whole state.
- To enjoy more of a vista view of San Luis Obispo, ride along the beautiful Madonna Mountain behind the Madonna Inn.
If you have your own horse and live in the area you may know these trails well. Let this short list be a reminder to you to get out and enjoy the paradise we call home here in Pismo Beach. If you are bringing your own horse into the area there are great boarding opportunities, like Pacific Dunes Ranch, where your horse will enjoy a Pismo Beach vacation just like you. And, if you don’t keep your own horse, the stables in town are delighted to set you up with everything you need for a special adventure. Check out Pacific Dunes Ranch & RV Resort or Madonna Inn Trail Rides for a full, guided trail ride experience.
Mountain Bike Trails
As Pismo Beach is located where the mountains meet the sea, the mountain bike riding is as epic as the scenery.
Two local favorite trail circuits are
- the Montana De Oro State Park with various levels of difficulty, elevation and scenery available in one stunning park and
- the Johnson Park Ranch with connector over to Irish Hills, a network of easy to moderate riding with grassy hills and a beautiful view of San Luis Obispo.
Visit the SLO Bicycle Club for more info about both road and mountain bike riding in the area.
Complete the day with R&R…
However you like to conquer the trail, let yourself wind down your adventure with a full restoration at the SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel. Soak your toes in one of our three hot tubs and wake up rested and ready for your next adventure. Book your getaway today.